logo casprini da omero
mail form Casprini Da Omero snc
Passo dei Pecorai, 68/70
50020 - Greve in Chianti (Fi)
Tel.+39.055.85.07.16/15
Web fax+39.055.71.88.114
Mob/Whap 3404536626
PI 03675100485
pec mail

13 - ABBEY OF SAN MINIATO A MONTE

Backfull listforward

Abbey of San Miniato al Monte

San Miniato al Monte, Chiesta e monasteroHistory
Wonderful Romanesque church located in San Miniato Mount, near Florence (not the homonymous town). The surface of the facade was probably started towards' eleventh century and lasted for XII for the top who were financed art of 'Calimala' (corporation of wool merchants) and who also took the task of maintaining the church since 1288. As proof of this, the eagle is to crown their own symbol. The mosaic of Christ between the Virgin was composed in 1260.
In 1499, during the restoration works, the tower collapsed and Baccio d'Agnolo, in 1523 took charge of the new designing and reconstruction. The works continued for years, stopped in'27 when they were interrupted in order to prepare the city defences after proclaim itself republic. In 1530 the complex was used as an artillery firing, protecting itself against enemy artillery, with mattresses. A original idea by Michelangelo. The bell tower was then carried out only in 1535. During the following centuries, during which the neglect brought him close to collapse until 1908 when work began were consolidation that lasted until 1929.

San Miniato al Monte, InternoSan Mininiato al Monte, navata sinistra

The church has a rectangular plant, somewhat unusual was the upper choir, placed on a platform above the vast crypt below. The floor is still the same of the 1207 ‘s and with straight lines, it guides the pilgrims and the visitors to the crucifix chapel by Michelozzo (1448). Originally it housed the Crucifix miraculous, today it is in Santa Trinita. The decorations are terracotta by Luca della Robbia. Over the choir and presbytery there is a Romanesque pulpit for 1207. The basin apses’ decorated by a large mosaic from 1297, with the same motif of the facade probably by the same anonymous artist. The crucifix overlooking the main altar is attributed to Luca della Robbia

 

The crypt

The crypt goes back to the XI century and is certainly one of the oldest parts of the church. The spare bones conserved here, belong to San Miniato and there were deposed in 1013. Sometimes I think about a little and chills come. They are more a thousand years that crypt is them and brings direct evidence of a certain past and provable to our ancestors. The chapel whole was painted by Taddeo Gaddi with saints and prophets. The altar is likely back to the presbytery. Time a ago it was surrounded by a cleared (1338), which is still present in part and a chorus in wood.

 

San Miniato al Monte, facciataCuriosity

In the cemetery sights of San Miniato rest and there are still buried the outstanding Florentines: for their work or their thoughts, they have earned the gractitude of thecity. In San Miniato it is possible to take a Latin high Mass.

Basilica and convent of San Miniato al Monte.

 

Via Monte alle Croci - 50125 Firenze

Tel +39 055.234.27.31

 

NEED MORE INFO ABOUT FLORENCE? ASK TO WIKIPEDIA

Share this page

CONTACT DA OMERO'S

Book the restaurant

pets

Pets are welcome

 

 
Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalCSS Valido!