Castellina in chianti 1 Castellina in chianti 2 Castellina in chianti 3 Castellina in chianti 4 Castellina in chianti 5
Castellina in chianti 6 Castellina in chianti 7 Castellina in chianti 8 Castellina in chianti 9 Castellina in chianti 10
Castellina in chianti 11 Castellina in chianti 13 Castellina in chianti 14 Castellina in chianti 15 Castellina in chianti 16

Castellina in Chianti

castellina in chianti - vista-wiewIt's the place of the most interesting Etruscan ruins of the area: 4 under-ground tombs of VII-VI b.C. in Montecalvario, Rencine and Vignale. The village in XIth C. becomes property of the noble family of Trebbio and Guidi who submitted themselves to Florence in 1193. Due to its location between Florence and Siena the village was a remarkable centre for commerce and transit. It was the capital of Chianti League before Gaiole turn. In the late XIV C. it was burned out during the war between Florence and the Duke of Milan, allied to Siena. Later on Florence rebuilt and increased its military fortifications surrounded by walls and towers and nowadays one of these is the town hall. You can also admire a magnificent underground street belonging to the same period, made by houses leaning against the walls..

What to see:

castellina in chianti - particolari medievali-medieval details* Rocca
A massive building that stands on the main square with a fourteenth-century crenellated tower from which the top you can admire a great Chianti countryside. The fortress, from 21 April 2006, houses the Archaeological Museum of Chianti Senese. The museum, built using innovative technologies presented the history of ancient landscapes of Chianti, Castellina in addition to common Castelnuovo Berardenga, Gaiole in Chianti and Radda in Chianti.

* Tomb of Montecalvario
A short distance on 222 state meet this famous Etruscan monument : Tomba in Mound a large diameter of 50 meters, consists of four tombs dating back to hypogeum seventh-sixth century BC arranged following points Cardinals.

Chiesa di castellina in chianti* Tombs of Poggino
It is located close to Fonterutoli and has four chamber tombs dating back to orientalizing-archaic period (seventh-sixth century BC). Of note for this monument an interesting system of captions in this spot.

* Palace Ugolini-Squarcialupi
* Palace Bianciardi
* Via delle Volte

The churches

* Church of Santa Cristina a Ligliano
The Pope Clement III, the bubble of 20 April 1189 to the archbishop of Siena Bono, said the church as the diocese of Siena. In 1576 the land became property of the church de lo Arcispedale of Santa Maria Nuova in Florence, where they were held until 1779. Then the ownership passed to Pozzesi and, in 1923, to Berlingieri.

* Church of San Salvatore a Castellina
It has medieval origin but changes in modern romanic style.

* Church of San Giorgio alla Piazza
It has romaic origin and style from 1084.

* Church of San Leonino in Conio
Gave back to the original appearance by the restoration of 'eight hundred which also involved the decoration of the internal arches.

* Church of Santa Cristina a Ligliano
The Pope Clement III, the "bubble" of 20 April 1189 to the Archbishop of Siena, Bono, declared the church as the diocese of Siena. In 1576 the land became property of the Arcispedale - "Santa Maria Nuova of Firenze" , who kept it until 1779. Then the ownership passed to Pozzesi and, in 1923, to Berlingieri.

* Church of Sant'Agnese
We have memories of the church since 1046, when it appears belonging to the diocese of Siena. The current building has three aisles divided by squared pillars and completed by related apses. It was largely rebuilt after damage suffered during the last war.

* Canonica di San Michele a Rèncine
This church was located within the walls of the castle of Rencine. Actually remain a few walls and the base of a tower. We have news of it since 1054, by an act of the owner, signed for the sale of funds in the territory of Rencine.

Share this page

CONTACT DA OMERO'S

Book the restaurant

pets

Pets are welcome

 
 
Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalCSS Valido!