greve_in_chianti_1 greve_in_chianti_2 greve_in_chianti_3 greve_in_chianti_4 greve_in_chianti_5
greve_in_chianti_6 greve_in_chianti_7 greve_in_chianti_8 greve_in_chianti_9 greve_in_chianti_10
greve_in_chianti_11 greve_in_chianti_12 greve_in_chianti_13 greve_in_chianti_14 greve_in_chianti_15

Greve in Chianti - Map

Greve in Chianti - Piazza Matteotti
Credits Link pic
Autore: Kristian Thy Licenza: CC BY 2.0

The name derives from the Latin word "Grevis" and like all villages located on bottom valleys, it has a more recent history than the villages on the top of hills. Greve is the Mercatale del Pivere of San Cresci in Monteficalle, and developed rapidly after the 13th century as a market location. With the establishment of the Lega di Chianti, the current territory was so constituted. The "Plebato di Panzano" with the Chianti League of Castellina, Greve as the capital of the "Lega di Val di Greve" and seat of the Censo of the "Lega di Chianti" and finally the "Lega di Val di Cintola" and "Plebato di vai di Robbiana. "In the 18th century Greve became common and slowly acquired its present appearance.Many of the local castles were turned into farms.A little more than one kilometer from the famous triangular square of the town, the castle of montefioralle still stands out. Do not miss the visit! Street Markets: Greve-Saturday Tuesday: San Polo- Fixed Appearances: Greve-Easter Monday: market of things from the past May: Greve-market of plants and flowers San Polo: Festa del Giaggiolo September: Road in Chiantti: ancient fair October: Greve - market of things of the past, Lucolena: Chestnut Festival.

* Parish of San Donato a Mugnana
The Parish of San Donato a Mugnana it's over a plot who was property of Bardi di Vernio family. It has undergone restructuring in several years, starting in the fourteenth

century, an era in which the Parish was given a Romanesque style and was rebuilt in 1934. Not far from Pieve is a small cemetery that has been restructured in recent times..

* Parish of San Leolino
It is recalled from the tenth century, under the name of "San Leolino a Flacciano", but the current building, in Romanesque style, it has 3 naves scored by quadrilateral pillars, covered by wooden trusses, dates back to the twelfth century. In front ofthe facade there is an arcade of the sixteenth century. On the right is a fourteenth-century cloister.

* Parish of San Cresci
The ancient church is entitled to one of the most important Florentine evangelists. Its striking exterior in Romanesque style, dates back to the twelfth century. There was a porch added in the XV-arm throughout the sixth and two mullioned windows, the whose columns are surmounted by capitals cubic pulvinar and a hanger, supplemented by a second order at the beginning of 1800, in imitation of the underlying.

* Parish of San Pietro a Sillano
It is mentioned in the scrolls of Badia a Passignano early as year 's 884. The Parish was later confirmed to the bishops of Fiesole and by Pasquale II and Innocent II. Respectively in 1003 and in 1034.

All Chianti and Florentine Valdarno museums: Site

Catello di Montefioralle
Credits Link pic
Autore: Stefano Costantini Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Castellina in Chianti
Credits Di Vignaccia76 - PD self, CC BY-SA 3.0,
Autore: Di Vignaccia76 - PD self, CC BY-SA 3.0,

Panzano in Chianti
Credits Link pic
Autore: Konrad Lawson Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Castello di Sezzate
Credits Link pic
Autore: Kaja Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Casprini da Omero - Passo dei Pecorai - la Cantina
Credits Autore: Luca casprini
Casprini da Omero - Passo dei Pecorai
Credits Autore: Luca casprini
Casprini da Omero - Passo dei Pecorai
Credits Autore: Luca casprini

Share this page


- Mail


Pets are welcome


Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalCSS Valido!