monteriggioni_1 monteriggioni_2 monteriggioni_2 monteriggioni_3 monteriggioni_5
monteriggioni_6 monteriggioni_7 monteriggioni_8 monteriggioni_9 monteriggioni_10
monteriggioni_11 monteriggioni_12 monteriggioni_13 monteriggioni_14 monteriggioni_15

Monteriggioni - Map

Credits Link pic
Autore: rob zand Licenza: CC BY-SA 2.0

Monteriggioni: The Fortress started to be built in 1213 and the works lasted for 6 years. There have been many fights for the possession of the village between Siena and Florence like those in 1244, 1254, 1269 (battle of Colle), till the defeated sheltered inside the walls. In 1380, the inhabitants and defenders became officially citizens of Siena. In 1383 a group of siennese exiles took the fortress but for short since they surrendered to Florentines soon after. In 1526 Florence besieged by bombing the walls, but the villagers resisted till the Camollia battle of 23/07 when Siena definitely won the Florentine (Pope supporters). On the 27/04/1554 the betrayer captain Zeti gave to the Marquise of Merigliano, destroying the defensive system of the Republic of Siena and causing its end. The Fortress became finally a Medici family property.

Events and battles

Between 1244 and 1254 Florentines and Sienese fought for the possession of the fortress after its construction.

In 1269, after the battle of Colle (remembered by Dante in the XIII canto del Purgatorio), the defeated Sienese took refuge in Monteriggioni.

After the plague of 1348 - 1349 reported the presence of numerous evildoers, Siena decided to make reside permanently there a captain and infantrymen.

In 1380, according to what can be read in the statutes of the commune and men of Monteriggioni, the inhabitants of Monteriggioni were considered "Citizens of Siena".

In 1383 a group of Sienese exiles took possession of the Castle with deception, but surrendered shortly thereafter.

Between 1400 and 1500 the walls were lowered to take account of the needs of the artillery. The use of charcoal was therefore also useless.

In 1526 the Florentines besieged Monteriggioni with 2,000 infantrymen and 500 horsemen, bombarding the walls with artillery without obtaining their surrender. The Florentines fled after losing the battle of Camullia on July 25 of the same year.

Monteriggioni was then sold by the Medici family to the Golia family of Siena, who in turn sold it to the Batta family. It was then included in the duchy of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, then came to the Fabbroni, the Daddi and in 1704 to the Accarigi, who passed the annuity to the Griccioli family, which still maintains possessions in the castle and in the surrounding countryside.

All Chianti and Florentine Valdarno museums: Site

Credits Link pic
Autore: Michela Simoncini Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Credits Link pic
Autore: Visit Tuscany Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Credits Link pic
Autore: Michela Simoncini Licenza: CC BY 2.0


Share this page


- Mail


Pets are welcome


Valid XHTML 1.0 TransitionalCSS Valido!