bella ragazza imprunetina impruneta il chiostro festa dell'uva campanile dell'impruneta uva
terracotta 1 corpo del chiostro grande all'impruneta facciata della chiesa dell'impruneta 1 facciata della chiesa dell'impruneta 2 bacco al femminile
terracotta 2 ciardino del chiostro dell'impruneta piazzad ell'impruneta 1 piazzad ell'impruneta 2 bei piedini femminili per la pigiatura

Impruneta - City of Terracotta - Map

Impruneta, piazza Buondelmonti
Credits Link pic
Autore: yashima Licenza: CC BY-SA 2.0

Placed in a strategic position and crossroads of goods and pilgrims, it had its baptism of Impruneta ("prunetis" or "in pinetis"), rises between the seventh and sixth centuries. a.C in the Etruscan period and in the IV century A.C. gains importance as a place of worship. In the Middle Ages, the Buondelmonti, lords of the town, took command of one of the 72 leagues of the Florentine countryside. In the twelfth century, Florence razed the nearby castles and on 10/23/1135 also fell the fortress of Montebuoni. In 1308 a "guild of terracotta masters" was established in the village and many palaces and churches were decorated with this material as well as Brunelleschi's dome.In 1722 the Grand Duke Leopoldo to promote the spread of terracotta, abolished the duty and encouraged the In Impruneta the Sacred Image of the Lady of the Waters is venerated, carried many times in procession to Florence to ask for miracles: during the rains in 1368 and 1392, the drought in 1534 or the Spanish siege in 1529.


Events you cannot miss and what to see: Florence American Cemetery and Memorial, between Falciani and Tavarnuzze, May 28, the memorial day. The cemetery houses the tombs of only 4400 U.S. soldiers killed during the Second World War. A place of memory to visit with respect.

Feast of grapes last Sunday in September. Unmissable event: the challenge of themed floats and ballets for various riioni. Scenic, friendly and above all felt the corollary that we run around. After the 'race' is also a funeral the loser contrada.

Fiera di San Luca, week of S. Luke, every October. The fair is one of the oldest in Italy. Originally drip pan opportunity to sell animals, today there is everything from a small amusement park permanently placed in 'square new '(P.zza Accursio from Bagnolo), the sale of confectionery, pet, objects for the home and much more. On Thursday of the fair is always a race of horses and donkeys among the four districts of the country.

The whole history of the country is linked to the shrine of Impruneta. Very probably dates back to centuries BC There, nell'eopoca Etruscan when the place was located a sanctuary dedicated to a pagan god of health. The high Middle Ages (1060 approximately) was founded in the current basilica following the discovery of the sacred image of the madonna that today is kept in the sanctuary. The construction of the complex, the abundant presence of water on the hill, the favorable location of settlement, he soon increase the number of pilgrims and the town. The fair of St. Luke as already described above, is timasta for centuries one of the most important exhibitions of livestock across the Tuscan countryside. Now that is not a chicken, a rabbit, na sheep or a cow want to pay gold (thanks was Italian and European community), it has definitely changed.

The church was bombed near the end of World War II following an error of objective undergoing dramatic military damage. the original facade of the Church is covered by a portico dek Gerard Silvani of 1600, financed by the Florentines in gratitude to Our Lady which was defeated the plague. The splendid bell tower is of the XIII century.

The interior works of considerable value including a Nativity of Passignano and Vocation of St. Peter dell'Andrea by Jacopo da Empoli. Of beside the presbytery, two kiosks Michelozzo and decorated by Luca della Robbia preserve the relics of the True Cross (the right), and the image of Our Lady, often veiled (the left), that tradition assigns to St. Luke the Evangelist, patron saint of the country. In counter has taken its place, a few years, the rich Cantoria eighteenth century that housed the body of the sixteenth century.

According to legend the painting was found on the mountain behind the church and today known as' Mount of the Holy Marie 'or simply as' Monte'. In that place it was decided to build the church but a succession of strange and inexplicable collapses led the people to decide for itself Madonna: His effigy was placed on a cart pulled by oxen and the coachman. The current church stands where the wagon stopped. On the mountain now stands the monumental cemetery. It was tradition during the exhibition will travel to San Luca on the mountain to eat chickens that countless Bracer prepared in the square. Tradition off because of limitations in public and the total disappearance of herds of animals. To raise a simple chicken we want to document is a copy controls in the tenth and cook for the public as well. Often determined by regulations and laws written by people untrained and unpaid by many scientific studies.

The Madonna of Impruneta was very dear to Florence and have documented many of the shifts in Florence since the fifteenth century. Even in 1711, was co-proclaimed city of Florence and the archdiocese, as well as liberating Tuscany by the scourges that had struck. The image has been heavily restored, (in practice repainted) from Ignatius Hugford in 1758. Significant also cloisters and the adjoining Museum of the treasure of Santa Maria.

Market Weekly: Impruneta-Saturday morning: / Tavarnuzze - Wednesday. morning.

All Chianti and Florentine Valdarno museums: Site

Fair representation of St. Luke
Impruneta, festa dell'uva
Credits Link pic
Autore: RosaMela(Tusitala) Licenza: CC BY-SA 2.0

Impruneta, terracotta
Credits Link pic
Autore: yashima Licenza: CC BY-SA 2.0

Florence American Cemetery and Memorial
Credits Link pic
Autore: Alessandro Valli Licenza: CC BY 2.0

Florence American Cemetery and Memorial- M. Day
Credits Link pic
Autore: USAG Livorno PAO Licenza: CC BY 2.0


- Mail
Form Prenota
See MENU-Order

Casprini da Omero

Casprini da Omero Logo
Tuscany Italy
Typical Chianti restaurant. Run by Casprini's since 1913
Open: Mon.-Sun. 09:00-21:30
Closed Wednesday
Currency accepted: Euro
Payments: Cash, credit card.


Before departure

Search in Site and Blog

Travelling with pets

Pets welcome

Pets are welcome

Folow us